Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
DEI/Volunteer Recruitment Committee
Formed in 2020, the DEI/Volunteer Recruitment Committee purpose is to make Junior Achievement of Western New York a more inclusive organization with diversity at all levels and a commitment to equity by overcoming unintended and/or systemic bias. This committee can connect with diverse organizations to help engage and diversify our JA volunteer base to better represent the communities we serve.
- Ensure that all JAWNY committees are culturally inclusive.
- Ensure that JAWNY staff, board, committees, and volunteers reflect the diversity of the students we serve, the Pathways we teach, as well as the geographic breadth of the counties/communities we serve.
- Outreach to local community organizations to engage the broader community.
Accomplishments To Date:
- Participation in the United Way of Buffalo and Erie County (UWBEC) 21-Day Racial Equity Challenge.
- Participation in Deloitte Culture Path survey to understand and measure internal opportunities for growth.
- Continued education and training, nationally and locally, including: UWBEC Alice Simulation, UWSCC Cultural Responsiveness Training, national partnership with Paradigm Reach platform, JA USA training with Denise Thomas.
- Ensuring all JA virtual programs and website content will meet 508 compliance requirements.
- JAUSA has retained consultants to fully review all learning experience material to look for any unintended bias.
- Translation of JA programs into Spanish (ongoing).
- ALL JAWNY volunteers receive classroom training that addresses classroom diversity.
- Bill Andrews - Monofrax
- John Crawford - Society of St. Vincent DePaul
- Kenyana David - 81Eighteen, LLC
- Nina Heard - GM Tonawanda Engine
- Ricky Scott - Bank on Buffalo
- Stephanie Clabeaux - ACV Auctions
- Wil Green - Canisius College
- Danny Baco - M&T Bank
- Dave Lyman - Cetera Investors
- Jaime Dombrowski - M&T Bank
- Elizabeth Callahan - Buffalo Manufacturing Works
- Jennifer Yap - HSBC Bank
- Kirsti Hunt - NOCO Energy Corp.
- Rachael Herrmann - Rich Products
- Talia Rodriguez - Buffalo State College, West Side Promise Neighborhood
- Marie Pazych - Business BeActive, LLC, Freelance Buffalo
- Stephaine Huston - Highmark BlueCross BlueShield of WNY
- Michelle Plesh - Excelsior Orthopaedics